On the weekend of the 3rd of November, I took part in the twice a year coding competition ‘Three Thing Game’. This time around rather than each team having its own random set of words, each team was given the same three words; Hull, Culture and Change. These words were designed to encourage to create a game inspired by Hull City of Culture. However, my team of three decided to take a different approach to this. Instead of interpreting Hull as the place, we inferred its meaning as the hull of a ship for culture we used the culture of pirates and for change we had a procedural generated environment that ‘changed’ each time.
This left us we a procedural generated pirate game. We used GitHub as our source control method, Trello as our task assignment method and Unity as our engine. We started strong, establishing all our project management and source control methods in the first half an hour. We broke up the game into a set of achievable goals and more wishful goals and got started.
My main tasks within the 24 hours were to create the boat, both its motion and combat elements. As well as creating a lot of the assets, cell shading everything and creating the pickups as well as the effects these had on the overall game. Obviously we all chipped in on everything, and part of the challenge is to make it through the 24 hours as a strong team – which we did, despite one of our team taking a few hours off ill. Overall we are pleased with what we made, and with a bit more time we could make something really impressive. My primary engine is Unreal Engine, but I proved to myself that I have the capability to be just a competent in Unity, and I will continue to challenge myself within this engine. We have already decided to team up for the next event should university commitments allow for it, but the experience is very valuable. We have also decided to do the next game in Unreal Engine.
I will attach our submission video below, but I will try and get a better video in due course. The video has voice over describing the game. Despite us not winning, we had alot of complements and it is one of my better entries to the competition.
[ngg_images source=”galleries” container_ids=”2″ display_type=”photocrati-nextgen_basic_imagebrowser” ajax_pagination=”1″ template=”default” order_by=”sortorder” order_direction=”ASC” returns=”included” maximum_entity_count=”500″]